Instant Online Valuation

How long will my tenancy be?
The average tenancy period is 12 months. Longer terms can be negotiated on an individual basis.

Can I rent for a shorter term, say 3 months?
Not generally, but it’s worth contacting us, as we occasionally deal with short term lets.

What does furnished or unfurnished mean?
‘Furnished’ generally means that the home has furniture but does not have bedding or kitchen equipment such as plates and cutlery.

‘Unfurnished’ means that you need to supply all furniture and kitchen equipment.

Will you accept pets?
The majority of Landlords will not accept pets in their rental property. However some do, so it’s worth speaking to us if you have a pet. Pets are only allowed if specifically agreed in advance.

Do I need insurance?
The Landlord insures the property and their contents (ie, carpets, fixtures & fittings), but you should consider arranging insurance for your own possessions as your Landlord’s insurance will not cover your possessions.

Who manages the property?
We will inform you whether we manage the property, or whether the Landlord looks after it themselves. If we manage the property on behalf of the Landlord, you will need to contact us directly with any maintenance issues, or issues about your Tenancy. If your Landlord manages the property, you should contact them directly.

Who is responsible for repairs, for instance if the boiler breaks down?
The Landlord is responsible for repairs, which includes the boiler, and any white goods that are included in the tenancy.

How much will the monthly bills cost?
It’s very difficult for us to estimate this, as everyone uses a different amount of energy. You can find out the council tax by visiting SODC and a lot of the energy providers offer an energy calculator on their website. The EPC (Energy Performance Certificate) should also offer an idea of how energy efficient the property is.

What happens if I need to contact you for urgent repairs?
Our office opening hours are Monday – Thursday 08:45 – 18:00, Fridays 08:45 – 17:30 and Saturdays 09:00 – 16:00. For Properties that we manage, our Property Management phones are answered from 08.00 – 20.00 Monday to Friday, 09.00 – 17.00 Saturdays and 10.00 – 16.00 Sundays. If the calls are answered outside of our office opening hours, you will be provided with contact numbers for our contractors for urgent matters. Urgent is classed as no heating/hot water (during colder months) and water leaks. Domestic appliance breakdowns are not classed as urgent, therefore we will deal with this sort of call during out normal working hours.

If you should smell gas, you should immediately contact the National Gas Emergency number: 0800 111 999

Who provides my gas & electric?
In most instances we can let you know who the existing suppliers are, however in some circumstances it may not be possible. In these cases you can contact British Gas , who will be able to let you know who currently supplies the property.

Can I change my energy provider?
Yes, as you will want to get the best deal possible, just make sure you let us know if we manage the property, or your Landlord if not.

Will I have a phone line?
We are not able to deal with telephone lines, as BT will only speak to the account holder. You will need to contact BT directly about setting up a phone line.

Will I get broadband in my new home?
You can use this online Broadband Checker to see if broadband is available at your new home.

Do I need a TV license?
YES – if you have a television, you need to buy a Television License

What happens if I lock myself out of the house?
During working hours you should be able to borrow a key from us (providing we manage the property). If it’s out of hours, you should call a locksmith. We recommend Nick Negus - 07898 737884.
Please be aware that you will be responsible for the call out charge.