Date Published 08 December 2016
When it comes to Christmas selling, there is no single answer. Your estate agent will be able to advise whether your home could benefit from being on the market over the festive season, or whether it is worth waiting until the New Year.
If you are looking for a balanced view, these points will help:
• When selling your home you need to be prepared for viewings at a moment`s notice – and with a house full of vising family, it may not be possible to show your home at its best. Cluttered homes are difficult to imagine, as you tend to see the items as opposed to the space.
• House-hunters might wonder why you are choosing to sell at this time of year and may read your choice to sell at Christmas as a rushed or even a desperate sale. This may lead to lower offers.
• As well as making assumptions about the sellers, those who are house hunting are likely to be fewer as they too would choose to celebrate Christmas before resuming, or starting, their search.
• A New Year means a fresh start for many, which makes January a very popular time to start searching for a new home. Waiting until January could widen your potential buyers significantly.
• For those who do venture into the market over the holidays, you will find a buyer thanks to the reduced number of homes for sale – it is a perfect time to capture serious house hunters.
• Christmas decorations are an interesting topic. For those who celebrate Christmas with gusto, their homes will be beautifully cleaned and decorated, which could well mean the festive season is the perfect time for viewings. However, decorations are extremely subjective. Do people like white lights or coloured lights, do they want a fake tree or a real one, is tinsel a must or a no, no.
But remember, the busiest time for property portals is Boxing Day. If you decide to market your home over Christmas then make sure your home is online ready for the 26th!